1000 hours counter

1000 hours counter

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Homeschool early days...

We started school 'officially' on Monday. I have to say it is proving to be much more tiring than I expected, but then my pregnancy this week has started taking more of a toll anyway. Up more times in the night, and also started having Braxton Hicks contractions, so it isn't too ideal for starting homeschooling!

Anyway, Monday was a little different too, as my nephew JJ had a teacher training day, so he joined us for school at the last minute which I was not prepared for! He got on with the workplan we had set out for his homework while I tried to present some things to Addie.

 



After a couple of days of homeschooling, I feel very overwhelmed actually, and very inadequate as a home teacher. I am a little out of depth with working with a toddler, to be honest. Not as a Mum, of course, but as a teacher. I am going to be studying a 0-3 course soon, so hopefully that will help me. For now, what I have realised after observing Addie, is that there are quite a few things she is reluctant to do, so at the moment it is all about giving her new experiences in preparation for homeschooling, so right now she is playing with soapy water and getting wet! She is wiping the floor though to dry it when she spills some, so that is a good thing in itself! 

Sensitive periods
Between the age of 0-6, Montessori discovered that the child went through sensitive periods when they are more psychologically predispositioned to learn certain skills. From birth these are movement, language and a sense of order. All of these are characteristics that Addie is displaying, including putting back the towel in its right place after drying the floor! I will be writing a lot more about these in the coming weeks, but it is good to see these characteristics emerging in my own child.

No comments:

Post a Comment